Moving Michigan Forward: State Thought Leaders Helping Michigan Find Answers
Ideas from 14 Michigan thought leaders on how the state can move forward, is available for review in a new MSU Land Policy Institute special report: Moving Michigan Forward: State Thought Leaders on Helping Michigan Find Answers. The report highlights important strategies and recommendations and advice for the state in the areas of:
- Knowledge and Attitudes among Leaders and Citizens Affects the State’s Future;
- Making Places that Will Attract People and Economic Growth;
- Working Regionally;
- Detroit and Its Region;
- The Green Economy; and
- Retooling and Reinvesting in Michigan’s Places.
During the 2010 Fall semester, Michigan State University students enrolled in the ESA 450: Smart Growth and Strategic Land Use Decision-Making course were asked to interview the leaders as part of a semester project on such topics as economic development, land use, the environment, urban design, government and social justice. The course was taught by Soji Adelaja, PhD, John A. Hannah Distinguished Professor in Land Policy; and John Warbach, LPI associate director.
The Michigan leaders interviewed included:
- Amy Arnold, Preservation Planner for the State Historic Preservation Office in the Michigan State Housing Development Authority.
- Guy Bazzani, President/CEO of Bazzani Associates.
- Patty Birkholz, Member of the Board of Directors of the Great Lakes Protection Fund, former Director of the Office of the Great Lakes in the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, and former State Senator.
- Matthew Cullen, President and CEO of Rock Ventures LLC, Chair of the Detroit RiverFront Conservancy, and volunteer CEO of the M-1 Light Rail Initiative in Detroit.
- Pat Gillespie, developer, and Founder and President of the Gillespie Group.
- Pete Hardigan, Manager for Environmental Policy for Sustainability Business Strategies at Ford Motor Company.
- Gary Heidel, Director of Program Policy and Market Research, and former Director of the Michigan State Housing Development Authority.
- Jim Lively, Program Director for the Michigan Land Use Institute.
- Gregory Main, President of St. Gregory’s University, and former CEO of the Michigan Economic Development Corporation.
- Larry Merrill, Executive Director of the Michigan Townships Association.
- Eric Schertzing, Ingham County Treasurer and Chair of the Ingham County Land Bank.
- Michael Score, President of Hantz Farms in Detroit.
- Sam Singh, recently elected Michigan State Representative, former Senior Consultant at the New Economy Initiative of Southeast Michigan, and former Mayor of East Lansing.
- Marsha Smith, Executive Director of Rotary Charities of Traverse City, a CORE Group Member of the Grand Vision; and Advisory Committee Member of the Northwest Michigan Council of Governments’ New Designs for Growth Program.