Zoning Administrators—It’s a New Year, what do you plan to do differently this year?
posted on January 19, 2017 3:05pmAttendees of the 2016 ZAC Program enjoying the presentation. Photo courtesy of Kurt H. Schindler, AICP, MSUE
While many people make personal resolutions during the New Year, it is also a good time for professional evaluation. This is the perfect opportunity for zoning administrators and communities to evaluate office procedures and professional development needs.
The Zoning Administrator Certificate (ZAC) Program offered by the Land Policy Institute’s Planning & Zoning Center at Michigan State University is a one-stop-shop for both. This is the only course of its kind in Michigan. Specifically designed for all new and current zoning administrators, along with private consultants, state agency field staff and county planners who consult with local Zoning Administrators, this intensive course teaches the fundamentals needed to improve performance, customer service, efficacy of processes and accuracy of information.
The course runs Feb. 15-16, 2017, at the Hilton Garden Inn in Plymouth. Space is still available and early registration ends on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017, so be sure to reserve your space today!
There are eight modules (ranging from 1.5-2.5 hours of instruction) included in this program leading to a certificate of completion for those that pass an exam associated with each module.
- Job Description, Responsibilities and Basic Ethics.
- Legal Issues.
- Reviewing Applications: Common Procedures and Use of Forms.
- Reviewing Plot Plans and Site Plans.
- Inspections and Violations.
- Preparing Files, Reports and Record Keeping.
- Interactions with other Professionals and Agencies, and Departmental Duties.
- Customer Service and Counter Behavior.
To be eligible for a certificate upon completion of this program, participants will need to have also completed the MSUE Michigan Citizen Planner Program, either classroom-based or web-based (or be AICP (American Institute of Certified Planners) certified) and successfully pass a multiple choice examination. See below for details about the training opportunities.
Michigan Citizen Planner Program Training Opportunities
- Citizen Planner on the Web – Special ZAC Program (live webinar presentation): Jan. 23-Feb. 6, 2017 (Weekdays: Jan. 23, 25, 27 and 30, and Feb. 1, 3 and 6) from 1:30-4:30 p.m. Registration is now closed.
- Michigan Citizen Planner Online: A three-part series of courses, which together compose the full Michigan Citizen Planner course. Registration and course information are available online.
- Macomb County Classroom-based Citizen Planner Program: Thursdays: Mar. 9-May 4 from 6-9 p.m. at MSU Extension Office in Clinton Township. Registration is available online.